Jake20

Picture 027

This is my ecosystem. our animal is the Hognose Snake. All of  its enemies are the hawk and the eagle. All of the things that it eats would be the salamanders, lizard, frog, turtle, toad and eggs from other animals. The green curled up in the middle of the ecosystem is our Hognose Snake and that big box shaped thing on the left is a factory. The factory is one of the things that is bringing down the population of the snake because of its pollution. The thing on the very left and closest to you would be our lizard. The thing on the very right of the ecosystem would be our car. The car is also polluting the habitat. The bird on the top left of the ecosystem would be our hawk and the bird on the top left but closest to you would be our eagle which are typically predators of our snake.

adding and subtracting integers video

This video will show you how to add and subtract integers by using the strategy same change change.

Opical Popical

In Science class we were asked to create a plant that could survive in a particular environment. Our plant is called Opical Popical. Our stems job is to store the water from the roots get from the ground. The roots from our plant are supposed to try to collect water from the soil underground. The leaves perform the transpiration process and let off some of its collection of water if it collects too much from the ground or from percipitation. It can sometimes face too much water in the rainforest and needs a way to get rid of some of it. Our plant helps humans by containing an all-natural medicine.

In science we were asked to construct a bridge that needs to get a golf ball to the other side of it. Our bridge passed the golf ball test because we used ther specified materials, we worked within the time limit and we all had different jobs. Our bridge also passed the five trials we put it through.The hardest design specification was probably how much we wanted to tilt it so the golf ball wouldn’t stop in the middle or fall off of the bridge. The changes I would make would be making better support or better guard rails.

In science we are learning structures and forces and were asked to build a chair out of newspaper. Our chair met all of the specifications because we used only the materials allowed.  Most of the forces were compression because somebody in our group had to sit on our chair. We worked hard on the design before we started. The thing that was the most difficult to meet was probably the weight of the person on our chair. 3 things we would change if we were given another chance would be use fewer materials, make it taller and make it stronger where the person sits to prevent compression.

In science we were trying to make a structre that would hold an egg 30 cm over the table and 10 cm off the table. Our structure did not meet all the criteria because we didn’t have a very big base so it wanted to tip. We needed a counter balance. The most difficult specification to meet was probably the height. Three changes I would make would probably be to choose different group members, make the structure with straws instead of popsicle sticks and make the base wider. All the materials we used were popsicle sticks, tape, pipe cleaners and tooth picks to hold the egg  from falling off but at the last minute we changed the tooth pick into a paper clip instead cause we thought it worked better.

8 thoughts on “Jake20

1. Jake,
    Your video was great, You really explained same change change well.
    Do you know you can do the same thing on a number line?

2. Hello Jake,

You did a great job on your adding and subtracting integers video. I really liked it because it showed me how to use same change change.

from Trevor

3. G’day Jake,

Thanks for joining the March 2011 student blogging challenge. So you can contact other students and look at their blogs, make sure you keep referring to this page on the challenge blog.

Also each week starting in March, check out the student challenge blog for the different activities to do – look at ‘Latest challenge posts’ under the map on the right sidebar.

4. Hi Jake – I enjoyed reading your description of the hognose snake. I didn’t realize that the hognose snake population is declining because of the factory pollution – thanks for teaching me something new!

5. Hi,

My name is Sally, I just go through the student list and I choose to read about your blog. For your post, the ecosystem, I think that it must take you a lot of time to work on it. About the ecosystem, I really like it, I bet that you must really love science!!! 🙂 Come and visit my blog sometime, okie?!?!
    http://sallynguyen.edublogs.org/

6. good job jake your create a plant project is really well done it explains how it can get water and how it helps humans in that area god job
    from tate

7. I think you did a really good job on your Opical Popical plant because you completed every thing you needed to. I think you did a really good job on explaining what your plant provides for humans. Areas of growth would be to work on you coloring and naming were your plant lives.